Re: U+0000 in C strings (was: Re: Opinions on this Java URL?)

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 10:41:13 CST

    Doug Ewell scripsit:

    > Then why do the DataInput and DataOutput interfaces perform this special
    > conversion? There isn't any mention, on the page whose URL Theodore
    > originally provided, of compatibility with C strings.

    Probably because Sun was reusing the format that string literals take in
    compiled Java classes. The format is as compact as UTF-8 provided your
    characters are in the range U+0001 to U+FFFF, which is true most of the time.
    Serializing with a 32-bit length would be much bulkier.

    > If a Java String consists of a count followed by the data,

    I didn't say that. A Java String in memory contains a count and the data,
    because it is basically a wrapper around a Java array of characters, and Java
    arrays contain a count. (Strings, unlike arrays, are immutable in Java.)
    That does not mean that the count is "followed by" the data in the memory
    representation, which indeed is up to the JVM -- Java does not prescribe it.

    > Those are design benefits. I was asking about the ability to represent
    > text adequately.

    Strings are not used solely to represent text; they are more general.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    Consider the matter of Analytic Philosophy.  Dennett and Bennett are well-known.