Re: Unicode HTML, download

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Nov 21 2004 - 09:28:07 CST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > On 21/11/2004 00:50, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >> .he {
    >> font-family: "SIL Ezra", "Arial Unicode MS", David, Myriam, Tahoma,
    >> Arial, sans-serif;
    >> direction: rtl;
    >> }
    >

    > This will absolutely NOT work because SIL Ezra is legacy encoded and the
    > others are Unicode encoded. You should be using Ezra SIL. See my previous
    > posting.

    Thanks for this correction. I thought that this font was Unicode too...

    But this creates an even more complicate case for creating a portable HTML
    page: as the font uses a specific encoding, how can characters be selected
    in that font, given that the page will be UTF-8 encoded and thus will
    contain numeric references to Unicode code points?

    Does this font works as if it was assigning ISO-8859-1 characters? If so,
    Elaine will need to use only Latin-1, which will be correctly rendered as
    expected only if the specific font is installed. If it is not, readers will
    see Latin-1 characters, but not even any Hebrew character present in most
    classic core fonts of their browser...

    So if she really wants to include character compositions which are only
    possible with Ezra SIL, she will need these two classes:

    .he { font-family: "Arial Unicode MS", David, Myriam, Tahoma, Arial,
    sans-serif;}
    .heb { font-family: "Ezra SIL" }
    .he, .heb { direction: rtl; }
    //--></style>

    and use preferably the "he" class name for all Hebrew characters which can
    be represented with Unicode code points and Unicode fonts found in common
    browsers, surrounding only the specific sections requiring the SIL encoding
    mapped on ISO-8859-1 within <span class="heb"> elements. Elaine will also
    need to indicate in its page that it needs the SIL font installed in order
    to view some Biblib Hebrew elements correctly (instead of Latin-1 characters
    that will appear in browsers if the font is not installed...).

    I still doubt that you need such a specialized font for Biblic Hebrew and
    Canaanite languages, to create a technical translation glossary, which would
    probably use modern Hebrew only (so the "he" class above would probably be
    enough...)

    Elaine better knows what she wants to put in this glossary (for example if
    she needs to include examples of Bliblic Hebrew)...