Re: [increasingly OT--but it's Saturday night] Re: Unicode HTML, download

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 21 2004 - 16:56:30 CST

    On Sunday 2004.11.21 00:06:31 -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:
    > E. Keown <k underscore isoetc at yahoo dot com> wrote:
    >
    > > What's the point, really, of going far beyond, even
    > > beyond CSS, into XHTML, where few computational
    > > Hebraists have gone before?
    > >
    > > Sorry, but I think this stuff is the least interesting
    > > thing one can do on a computer....(no offense). Well,
    > > COBOL was my worst experience so far...
    >
    > You are right. There shouldn't be any need to resort to fancy tricks,
    > or even XHTML (which is by no means fancy), just to display Hebrew
    > properly on a variety of browsers. That was your original question.

    I beg to differ with Doug Ewell here: Using XHTML and some very basic
    CSS1 is not, in my opinion, "resorting to fancy tricks". XHTML is very
    simple to do correctly, and more consistent than HTML 4.01. Philip Verdy
    also provided some good advice on what a CSS class for Hebrew might look
    like.

    XHTML has a consistent set of rules that apply across all tags : I would
    argue that this is *easier* to learn and stick to than old-style HTML.
    And proper use of CSS really allows one to separate one's content from
    the display of that content. For me, the combination of XHTML and CSS
    is so much easier than what I used to suffer through in the bad old days
    of HTML before CSS came along ...

    I do agree with Doug that validation using the W3C.org or similar validator
    is absolutely essential. But this thread is getting off-topic. The intent of my
    original post was merely to suggest Elaine take a look at using XHTML, CSS,
    and UTF-8 for her documents.