Re: Unicode HTML, download

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 06:39:23 CST

    Hi,

    E. Keown schrieb:
    > If I add the proper Unicode-related HTML code at the
    > top, will people get Unicode-compatible text when
    > they download this?

    First, you must make sure that your HTML source is stored
    in Unicode (preferably: UTF-8) encoding, at all. E. g.,
    in Windows XP, you can compose your page in the Notepad
    editor, use the menu item "File/Save as", and then choose
    the "UTF-8" encoding. In Linux, you could use the Yudit
    editor.

    Secondly, you must make sure that your HTML source is properly
    transferred to your HTTP server. When it is encoded in UTF-8,
    virually any FTP, or SSH/SCP, client will do it correctly,
    if you declare your source as "text", or "ASCII" (as opposed
    to "Binary").

    Thirdly, you must make sure that your HTTP server tells the
    client (e. g. a browser) about the UTF-8 encoding. The usual
    HTML header is only one way to accomplish this task; it de-
    pends on your server's settings whether this will work, at all.
    Some HTTP servers require particular filename extensions
    to signal the encoding, you may have to store your source
    in a particular directory, the above-mentioned HTML line may
    suffice, you may have to provide particular configuration
    settings in an additional file (e. g. .htaccess), or it even
    may be just impossible to serve UTF-8 files from your server;
    ask your server's administrator for the actual conventions
    applying in your environment. In any case, you should include
    the above-mentioned line with your HTML header, so the page will
    display correctly if no HTTP server is involved, e. g. locally
    on your own workstations before you have uploaded the source.

    > Is there a limit to how many separate writing systems
    > one can do this way?

    This is not a question of "how many", rather one of "which ones".

    The only limits are in capabilities of the browser your audience
    is using (e. g. it may not be able to process RTL text), and in
    the fonts available to said browser.
    - In your HTML source, use only characters from the WGL4,
       cf. <http://www.microsoft.com/OpenType/OTSpec/WGL4.htm>;
       in your style sheet, ask for modern, WGL4-conforming fonts,
       cf. <http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html#wgl4>.
    - Test your page with several browsers, as recommended by other
       posters in this thread.
    - I also recommend to test your page with the three W3C validators:
       <http://validator.w3.org/>, <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator>,
       and <http://validator.w3.org/checklink>.

    Good luck,
       Otto Stolz