Re: My Querry

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 13:55:38 CST

    RE: My QuerryMike Ayers wrote
    > Addison Phillips Sent on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:14 AM
    >> That is, amoung other things
    >> UTF-8 was designed specifically to be compatible with C
    >> language strings.
    >
    > Wrong!

    What is wrong? That UTF-8 (born FSS-UTF) was designed to be compatible with
    C language strings?
    Of course it was. Even more, it had to be compatible with the '/' codepoint,
    very important in Unix.

    Another problem entirelly is to determine if it _succeeded_ at this aim.

    > UTF-8 is fully compatible with ASCII,

    I do not know what does mean "fully compatible" in such a context. For
    example, ASCII as designed allowed (please note I did not write "was
    designed to allow") the use of the 8th bit as parity bit when transmitted as
    octet on a telecommunication line; I doubt such use is compatible with
    UTF-8.

    I do not object to your point about impossibility to represent NUL with C.
    But as you say, very often this is not an actual problem.

    Antoine