Re: No Invisible Character - NBSP at the start of a word

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 16:41:12 CST

    Jony Rosenne wrote:

    > This isn't what I said. I said it isn't a Unicode problem because it isn't
    > plain text.

    And I don't understand how you are making this distinction between writing two words
    separately being plain text and combining them being not plain text. In what way is it not
    plain text? Why couldn't it or shouldn't it be plain text?

    If I write, using Latin letters, 'YaHoWaiH' as a combination of the words YHWH and adonai,
    for instance, in what way is the former not just as much plain text as the latter? What
    makes the case fundamentally different for Hebrew?

    I'm just trying to understand the basis of your insistence that traditional Ketiv/Qere
    combinations are not plain text. I can understand how and why one might implement them not
    as plain text, but this is not the same as determining, a priori, that they are not and
    cannot be plain text.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com