Re: CGJ , RLM

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 16:50:04 CST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > If encoding ligation oportunity is not plain-text, why then have it in
    > Unicode?
    > If hyphenation opportunity is not plain-text, why then have it in
    > Unicode?

    Both of these capabilities are arguably plain-text. There is such a
    thing as over-using them to the point where you have crossed the line
    into markup. This is probably an aesthetic judgment.

    > Nobody is required to use them, but if one wants to do it for better
    > rendering of prepared documents, why would Unicode forbid it? Was my
    > question really so stupid?

    You really don't see anything wrong with inserting 5 formatting
    characters in an 8-letter word?

    If you are feeding your plain text into a system that is capable of
    high-quality typography, such as InDesign, then it should generate
    ff-type ligatures and perform sensible hyphenation by default. You can
    then use ZWNJ to turn ligation *off* where it is not desired. Of course
    you are not "forbidden" to go the other way, and mark every ff-ligature
    and hyphenation point in your text, but it seems like overkill if you
    are planning to use a high-end rendering system anyway.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/