Re: No Invisible Character - NBSP at the start of a word

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 12:10:53 CST

    On 27/11/2004 21:48, Asmus Freytag wrote:

    > The change that the UTC has approved for UAX#14 ...

    > PS: The revised text of UAX#14 will not be published until Unicode
    > 4.1, but the change to the rules has been endorsed by the UTC. While
    > the UTC can change its mind before publication, it could do so after
    > publication as well. This is different from assigning character codes,
    > as you know.

    Thanks for the explanation. I suppose I should have guessed that "Many
    existing implementations reverse the order of precedence between rules
    LB11b and LB12." in UAX #14 in fact means "All known existing
    implementations..." And I will remember not to implement the official
    standard whenever I come across such a note, but rather to avoid
    "mis-applied conservatism" by following everyone else in breaking the
    standard.

    But if the UTC has already made a decision on this change, why is it
    included in a current public review issue? Is the public review genuine?
    If someone makes an objection to this change, will it be considered? I
    have no objection to this change, but it does make me wonder if my
    because the UTC has actually already decided the issue.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)