Re: Nicest UTF

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 17:14:11 CST

    If you need immutable strings, that take the least space as possible in
    memory for your running app, then consider using SCSU, for the internal
    storage of the string object, then have a method return an indexed array of
    code points, or a UTF-32 string when you need it to mutate the string object
    into another.

    SCSU is excellent for immutable strings, and is a *very* tiny overhead above
    ISO-8859-1 (note that the conversion from ISO-8859-1 to SCSU is extremely
    trivial, may be even simpler than to UTF-8!)

    From: "Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" <qrczak@knm.org.pl>