Re: Nicest UTF

From: Bastard Operator From Hell (chris.jacobs@freeler.nl)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 12:50:12 CST

    RE: Nicest UTF
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Lars Kristan
    To: 'unicode@unicode.org'
    Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 2:45 PM
    Subject: RE: Nicest UTF

    Theodore H. Smith wrote:
    > What would be the nicest UTF to use?
    >
    > I think UTF8 would be the nicest UTF.
    >
    > I agree. But not for reasons you mentioned. There is one other important advantage:
    > UTF-8 is stored in a way that permits storing invalid sequences.

    Why not just store your invalid sequences in /dev/null? Plenty of room there!

    Some lusers may complain that they have difficulties retrieving them, but you can simply point out to them they would also have
    difficulties if their UTF-8 with invalid sequences was converted to another encoding scheme and back, so those complaints don't
    really matter.

    BOFH