Re: Nicest UTF

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmit@apple.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 13:04:11 CST

    On Dec 3, 2004, at 2:54 AM, Andrew C. West wrote:
    > I strongly agree that all Unicode
    > implementations should cover all of Unicode, and not just the BMP, and
    > it really
    > annoys me when they don't; but suggesting that you need to implement
    > supra-BMP
    > characters because they are going to start popping up all over the
    > place is
    > wrong in my opinion (not that Doug suggested that, but that's my
    > extrapolation
    > of his point). Software developers need to implement supra-BMP
    > characters
    > because some users (probably very few) will from time to time want to
    > use them,
    > and software should allow people to do what they want.

    Actually, about 10% of the glyphs in the Japanese fonts that ship with
    Mac OS X are represented by characters in plane 2. The main reason they
    are there is because they are used in names (people, places, and
    companies). So there are real customers who want to use characters
    outside the BMP. I would not characterize it as "very few". That's true
    of the vast majority of SMP characters, but not all of them.

    Deborah Goldsmith
    Internationalization, Unicode Liaison
    Apple Computer, Inc.
    goldsmit@apple.com