Re: No Invisible Character - NBSP at the start of a word

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 22:03:19 CST

    Mark E. Shoulson wrote at 7:20 PM on Saturday, December 4, 2004:

    >I would say that pointing
    >one text with the vowels of another, without regard for discrepencies in
    >character-count, constitutes an abuse of the Hebrew orthography, and
    >shouldn't be considered "normal" usage that must be supported.

    Calling ketiv/qere spellings orthographic abuse, abnormal, and not worthy
    of support in Unicode is based on reasoning backwards from the faulty
    Unicode model for encoded Hebrew, rather than forwards from the Hebrew
    script to an encoding model.

    From an encoding point of view, ketiv/qere is NOTHING MORE than arbitrary
    sequences of Hebrew vowels and consonants, and just as Unicode supports
    ANY sequence of Latin vowels and consonants it should have, from the very
    beginning, supported ANY sequence of Hebrew vowels and consonants. The
    problem lies not in the script, the problem lies in the inadequate
    encoding model adopted for it - and it needs to be fixed. ALL of the
    Hebrew script must be supported; anything less is simply unacceptable.

    As I said similarly elsewhere, this must be supported in plan tixt -
    ketiv = "plain text", qere = "all scripts". As I have just demonstrated
    this is trivial in Latin; it should also be trivial in Hebrew.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project