Re: shaping rule? Re: proposals I wrote (and also, didn't write)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 09:48:29 CST

    On 08/12/2004 14:36, Peter R. Mueller-Roemer wrote:

    > In AraiUni.ttf the 1st Hebrew block works pretty well except that
    > vowel-points and Hebrew accents do not combine under a consonant but
    > the the accent seems to add a space, so that the single word wajalad
    > (& (he) was born 8?)) looks like 2 words waja lad - ugly.
    > I find it too cumbersome so keep 4 different single dots around to
    > compose shin and sin with dagesh and hireq (possible in the 1st block).
    > The precomposed shin, sin and others I was glad to find in the 2nd
    > block, but they disappointed me because they refuse to be (pointed or)
    > accented, so that I can't even copy the first verse from the bible
    > (BHS) not even the first word!
    >
    > The segolat accent does not look close to the segol(at) vowel, it
    > looks like a 3-dot reverse breve.
    >
    > Are there any shaping rules in Unicode that I have missed?

    The rule you have missed is, don't try to use a font which gives such
    bad results when there are much better ones available. Even regular
    Arial gives you better results than this with Hebrew, and better still
    with fonts like David and Miriam which I think you get with MS Office
    when you install Hebrew support. But if you want the best results,
    especially with accents, use a font which is designed to give good
    results for biblical Hebrew, such as SBL Hebrew or Ezra SIL, both free
    downloads.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)