Re: Please RSVP... (was: US-ASCII)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 19:22:38 CST

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    > Nonsense. You might as well try to explain SPQR on the same basis.

    I won't. I know that SPQR was used on architectural constructions as a
    symbol of the Roman Empire, and it was a wellknown acronym of a Latin
    expression.

    It largely predates the invention of the telegraph. My only comment was
    related to the date of origin of the acronym. It's a coincidental, may be
    accidental, analysis.

    > And it ignores the fact that RSVP was printed on posted invitation cards;
    > such invitations were not, as a rule, sent by telegraph.

    And another site gives other historic context of this expression: the
    etiquette of the French court of King Louis XIV in the 16th century, and the
    use of the French etiquette throughout Europe and in the United States up to
    the 19th century :
    http://people.howstuffworks.com/question450.htm
    So the etiquette would have continued to be used in the wellknown acronym as
    a convenience when telegrams were invented.

    I just discovered after some searches an old notice of the French Poste,
    with acronyms and abbreviations to be used preferably by telegraphists...
    RSVP is present in that list, among other abbreviations used to encode the
    routing and delivery options of the telegram itself. Probably an interesting
    example of the first communication protocol standards, to limit false
    interpretations.