RE: Nicest UTF

From: Lars Kristan (lars.kristan@hermes.si)
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 06:17:44 CST

    D. Starner wrote:
    > "Lars Kristan" writes:
    >
    > > > A system administrator (because he has access to all files).
    > > My my, you are assuming all files are in the same encoding.
    > And what about
    > > all the references to the files in scripts? In
    > configuration files? Soft
    > > links? If you want to break things, this is definitely the
    > way to do it.
    >
    > Was it ever really wise to use non-ASCII file names in
    > scripts and configuration
    > files?
    It goes beyond that. Please see my reply to Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk.

    > It's not very hard to convert soft links at the same
    > time.
    Please see my reply to Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk.

    > Even if you can't do a system-wide change, it's easy enough
    > to change the
    > system files, and post a message about switching to UTF-8,
    > and offering to
    > assist any users with the change.
    That's perfectly fine. But I started talking about this because I claimed
    that you are likely to end up by having UTF-8 filenames alongside legacy
    encoded filenames. If you do it gradually, that is precisely what is going
    to happen, at least for a certain period. But this period could be longer
    than expected. And as it turns out things are not simple, some users may
    never convert all the filenames. Some won't convert any and will just start
    using UTF-8 for new ones. And this should be allowed. Assuming that all
    filenames should be valid UTF-8 is a bad argument against my claims that
    applications should be able to process filenames with invalid UTF-8
    sequences.

    Lars