RE: Roundtripping in Unicode

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 15:04:30 CST

    Lars Kristan stated:

    > I said, the choice is yours. My proposal does not prevent you from doing it
    > your way. You don't need to change anything and it will still work the way
    > it worked before. OK? I just want 128 codepoints so I can make my own
    > choice.

    You have them: U+EE80..U+EEFF, which are yours to use (or abuse)
    in an application as you see fit. Just don't expect others outside
    your application to interpret them as you do.

    > And once and for all, you can treat those 128 codepoints just as you
    > do today.

    A number of people on the list have patiently explained why what
    you are proposing to do fundamentally breaks UTF-8 and its
    relationship to other Unicode encoding forms.

    The chances that you will get the standard extended to incorporate
    these 128 code points and define their mapping to invalid byte
    values in UTF-8 is somewhere between zilch, nada, and nil.

    --Ken