Re: Roundtripping Solved

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 10:19:49 CST

    Arcane Jill <arcanejill at ramonsky dot com> wrote:

    > It's just an escape sequence - like prefixing a character with
    backslash
    > when inside a string constant. Does that make it non-conformant? Is
    the
    > common practice of replacing quote with backslash-quote in string
    constants
    > non-conformant, because backslash isn't a PUA character? If so, I
    stand
    > suitably chastised, but if not, there is nothing supernatural about
    using
    > magic-numbers, signature-bytes, etc., to identify an escape sequence.
    > simply chose a string longer than "\" (and therefore less likely to
    occur by
    > accident).

    You're right, it is just an escape sequence. I stand corrected.

    Frankly I don't care what Lars chooses to do internally with his data.
    It's his business, as long as he does not leak his
    almost-but-not-quite-UTF-8 scheme into the outside world and label it an
    "extension" or "adaptation" of UTF-8, and especially as long as he
    doesn't try to get it recognized as such by Unicode. That's what
    happened with CESU-8, and it's not right.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/