RE: Roundtripping Solved

From: Lars Kristan (lars.kristan@hermes.si)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 01:04:59 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > Please note Lars, that Unix filesystems are already performing their
    > revolution. There are better filesystems for Unix/Linux than
    > the old legacy
    > UFS, which are more secure with journalisation and RAID, more
    > scalable with
    > disk arrays or clusters, less fragmented, distributed....
    > Many new filesystems have native built-in support for Unicode
    > (like NTFS on
    > Windows) as their *only* internal encoding, and they
    > implicitly translate
    > file name requests from user programs from their locale to
    > Unicode. If a
    > user has a UTF-8 locale, then the OS driver will perform the
    > conversion
    > implicitly...

    That is definitely a good thing. Although, those filesystems will have
    another problem. They will actually prevent you from changing your locale in
    some cases. Namely when there will be references to non-ASCII filenames in
    other files.

    But the question here is, how quickly will they catch on? Will users really
    upgrade or just use the new ones and the old ones side by side? Will they be
    available for all UNIX flavors? There are systems out there that don't
    follow the industry. But just won't die out. They are typically used in
    environments where stable, proven solutions are very valuable. Like banking
    software.

    And, if I would decide to upgrade my filesystem to such Unicode filesystem,
    I would definitely want an option to upgrade without converting everything
    to a single encoding beforehand. And not by using the U+FFFD. How about a
    simple, reliable escaping technique? Preferably standardized.

    Lars