Re: ISO 10646 compliance and EU law

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 04:15:37 CST

    On Sunday, December 26th, 2004 5:54 a.m. (!)
    Philippe Verdy va escriure, entre altres:

    > In the EU legislation, there are tons of references to "languages",
    > but much less about "script systems";

    However, there is a well known case about them. In 1997, when it was about
    the building of the Euro monetary unit, Greece conditioned its Yes ballot to
    the fact that the Greek writing system would show up on the notes, whatever
    were the accorded name. And so does it.

    In a few years from now, when Bulgaria will join the EMU, we will see if
    they (Bulgarian) will choose ЕВРО or ЕУРО for the name of the currency. And
    in the latter case, if we should modify the notes to include one more
    spelling (according to Unicode/10646, ЕУРО is very different to ΕΥΡΟ) even
    if they look like very similar...

    Antoine