RE: CLDR locales: Filipino (fil/ph?) Pilipino/Tagalog (tl/tlg)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 18:20:05 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On
    > Behalf Of Philippe Verdy

    > I have just been told by a user in the Philipinins that the theorical
    > distinction between Tagalog and Filipinos is rarely observed, even by
    > users
    > in the native Tagalog community: nobody seems to speak today a "pure"
    > Tagalog language, so most computer applications simply do not make the
    > distinction.
    >
    > This means that for locale designation in applications, they almost
    always
    > refer to the "Filipinos" language as a synonym of Tagalog, and they
    most
    > often don't use the new "fil" code of ISO-639-2 assigned to Filipinos
    (and
    > incorrectly unified to Pilipinos for terminologic purpose).
    >
    > So it seems that Tagalog should be coded this way in ISO-639 (or more
    > exactly applications should behave as if this was coded like this) :

    Philippe: please do not go making recommendations that encourage
    destabilization of standards.

    Others: please disregard the suggestions made by Philippe here. He does
    not speak for the ISO 639 JAC and has no authority to suggest how ISO
    639 identifiers are intended to be used. Please note in particular that
    ISO 639-2 identifiers for Tagalog are the same whether for terminologic
    or bibliographic applications, and the same is true in the case of
    "Filipino".

    Peter Constable