Re: Spam : Re: ISO 10646 compliance and EU law

From: gpw@uniserve.com
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 11:52:42 CST

    Quoting Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com>:

    > At 09:18 -0500 2005-01-01, Patrick Andries wrote:
    >
    > >And the coins which have a different side [much more than simply
    > >saying dix euros/tien euro/diez euros/dieci euri] for each country
    > >can't be unfamiliair and counterfeited ?
    >
    > Counterfeit pennies are understandably rare.
    >
    > >Really I don't buy that argument.
    >
    > I don't care. It isn't my argument. Take it up with the European Central
    > Bank.

    I was going to hold comment, but I have to side with Michael.
    In the UK there are 8 banks that still have the right to issue
    currency. 1 in England, 3 in Scotland and 4 in Northern Ireland.

    The English notes are generally accepted throughout the UK,
    the various Scottish notes are normally accepted in Scotland and
    I never have had any trouble passing them in England though
    apparently some people have had difficulties. I didn't even know
    about the Northern Irish notes until the recent bank robbery; I
    gather they don't enjoy much favour in Great Britain.

    So given that background, I regularly deal with 4 banks * the
    various denominations * 1-2 series of notes in circulation.
    I would be hard pressed to recognize a counterfeit note if it
    were bank quality paper/printing even if the plates were a
    complete fabrication so long as they had plausible design
    elements on it.

    The EU institutions certainly could benefit from some improvements,
    but I think the Euro as a common currency with a standard appearance
    is in fairly good shape.

    As for the "abstract buildings" motif, I don't suppose there is
    anything to stop architects in member countries from making
    designs that match the images... the reaction from Brussels would
    be interesting.

    Geoffrey