Re: Unicode and Levenshtein?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 12:16:08 CST

    May be you should consider decompose first the Unicode string to a
    normalized form, or even better, then into UCA collation keys. Then you will
    need to adapt the LD algorithm so that it will compute a distance where
    collation levels are weighted.

    The difficulty will be to determine how you match characters at each
    collation level. You could first compute the distance at the primery level,
    by the number of insert/delete/replace operations occuring at the primary
    collation level. But for the secondary following levels, weighting the
    operations will require fractional numbers, so that primary differences will
    get a higher LD distance than secondary differences.

    Or you may simply consider only the primary level, taking into account only
    the priamry collation weight of characters, ignoring characters that are
    given a 0 collation weight (that are ignorable for collation, such as some
    Unicode/ISO/IEC-10646 formatting controls, like BiDi overrides).

    With Unicode texts, you must be very careful with encoded sequences that are
    considered canonically equivalent, and whose LD distance should be 0. Or to
    strings that are considered compatibility equivalent (and that may be given
    a non-0 LD distance lower than the distance that separates two characters
    that are not compatibility equivalent and thus not canonically equivalent
    too).