Re: Mystery of Circled S solved

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 18:58:35 CST

    At 08:43 AM 8/23/2004, Jörg Knappen wrote:
    >But it isn't GESCHUETZTE SORTE in its specific meaning. Neither is
    >U+24C8. The difference is the same as the difference between
    >U+0052 U+20DD or U+24C7 from U+00AE REGISTERED SIGN. GESCHUETZTE SORTE
    >belongs to a class of special characters with a legal meaning (like
    >COPYRIGHT SIGN and SOUND RECORDING COPYRIGHT SIGN, two name two others of
    >this class).

    The circled C, P and R came into Unicode/10646 from specific legacy
    character sets, while the circled alphabets came from other such sets.

    Originally, I suspect, the reason for their differentiation had much
    to do with the desire to not disrupt the circled alphabet, since it is
    used in automatic numbering of bullet items.

    I don't recall that there ever was a conscientious decision to code these
    by function. In terms of glyphic variation there is no strong differentiation
    since the use of both serifed and non-serifed letters certainly does occur
    in practice for the copyright symbol etc. However, as unlike the case for
    numbers, there is no white-on-black set of circled letters, it could be
    argued that using a font shift for these is the intended mechanism. That
    would mean that the range of glyphs is vastly different from the 'official'
    symbols.

    There is another significant difference in that the circled alphabet all
    have compatibility decompositions to <circled> letters, but the characters
    for the official symbols do not, meaning that they are not affected by
    NFKD.

    I further note that there are no cross references in the character name
    charts between the three symbols and the circled alphabet.

    Based on these arguments, a formal proposal for a new character for
    GESCHUETZTE SORTE would be welcome so that these issues could be formally
    evaluated by the committees (as opposed to just being bantered about on
    this list).

    A./

    PS: it would be nice if such a proposal could also address the circled
    (or ellipsoid) Wz for WAHRENZEICHEN that can be found in Duden and other
    sources. Is this a generally used character in Germany?

    PPS: the AMS fonts contain some special symbols that are / were needed
    by publishers for specific purposes in the context of *technical* publications
    even if their inclusion was not strictly due to mathematical usage.
    However, mathematicians being a greedy sort, such distinctions may
    not last very long. No mathematician can long resist the lure of a readily
    available symbol to mark some new distinction ;-).