RE: Subject: Re: 32'nd bit & UTF-8

From: Lars Kristan (lars.kristan@hermes.si)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 09:22:48 CST

    Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
    > I don't see why UNIX can't bend a little.
    > Just check for '#!' *or* 'BOM#!' when you open a file for execution.

    It is not as simple as that. If you use cat to concat files, you get lots of
    BOMs in the middle of the files. Next thing you know, you get BOMs in the
    filenames. More BOMs when you ls the files. Then you get BOMs following one
    another, meaning stripping the first one doesn't work any more. Should I go
    on?

    But, yes, perhaps UNIX will indeed need to bend. The question is, at which
    level in the architecture is this supposed to happen. Filesystem? Network?
    Run time library? Each program independently?

    Lars