RE: UTF-8 'BOM'

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 15:43:21 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of Hans Aberg

    > >> MS did invent BOM's for use with UTF-16
    > >
    > > This is factually incorrect. I seem to recall that the Byte Order
    Mark was
    > > invented by a gentleman from WordPerfect. I was present at the UTC
    meeting
    > > when the concept was introduced.
    >
    > To be more accurate, other posters mentioned its presence as a
    consequcne of
    > a MS text editor that always stamped BOM's, also in the case of
    UTF-8.Check
    > with those posters on details.

    Excuse me?! Rick McGowan was responding to a statement that *you* made.
    Why are you asking *him* to do the factual investigation to establish
    the veracity of *your* statement?

    Either take responsibility for your own statements, or don't bother
    saying anything at all.

    Peter Constable