Re: UTF-8 'BOM' (was RE: Subject: Re: 32'nd bit & UTF-8)

From: Andy Heninger (andyh@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 12:09:22 CST

    Lars Kristan wrote:

    > From the
    > standard's perspective you could say this is text mode, as it is indeed
    > specified, but I insist that this is binary mode, from user's
    > perspective. All UNIX does to satisfy the standard is that it IGNORES
    > the 'b' part of the type parameter.

     From a USER'S PERSPECTIVE?

     From a user's perspective, file opens can be in text or binary mode.
    Text files should be opened in text mode; binary files should be opened
    in binary mode. So says the applicable standards.

    To ignore this, based on the knowledge that you can get away with it on
    a particular system implementation at a particular point in time would
    seem to be encouraging the deliberate production of fragile,
    non-portable code. Why would you want to? Because it's "easier"?
    Sounds a lot like ignoring W3C standards when creating web pages because
    things happen to work fine in IE.

    -- Andy Heninger
        heninger@us.ibm.com