Re: Open Issue #61: Proposed Update UAX #15 Unicode Normalization Forms

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 17:03:48 CST

    The problem was that the test implementation matched the intention and was
    clear (being an implementation!) but the spec was ambiguous on a particular
    point.

    Punishing people who looked at the test implementation, and changing the
    intention of the UAX, just to satisfy the people who read the spec but not
    the code and came to the "wrong conclusion" (50/50 chasnce!) is not a good
    plan -- which is why there was a corrigendum.

    Coming along now when the corrigendum is being made part of the UAX, and
    proposing to back out of the plan already agreed upon seems like n even less
    good idea.

    This was extensively debated with people from the W3C and the IETF at the
    time of the corrigendum. Probably we should not revisit it again, given the
    above?

    MichKa [MS]
    NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Technical Lead
    Globalization Infrastructure, Fonts, and Tools
    Microsoft Windows International Division