Re: Open Issue #61: Proposed Update UAX #15 Unicode Normalization Forms

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 17:51:28 CST

    On 26/01/2005 19:57, Simon Josefsson wrote:

    >I think there are two kinds of idempotency under discussion:
    >
    >The first, "internal-idempotency", is that NFKC(NFKC(x)) = x.

    Surely you mean NFKC(NFKC(x)) = NFKC(x), and similarly for the following.

    >The second, "version-idempotency", is that NFKC3.2(NFKC4.0(x)) = x.
    >
    >The #61 proposal trade the second for the first.

    No, because the latter "version-idempotency" is not true even if NFKC4.0
    is identical to NFKC3.2, because the latter is not internal-idempotent.
    Anyway, this is not the open review issue #61 but the long closed review
    issue #29.

    But I agree with you that there is something very odd about a situation
    in which Unicode refuses point blank to consider correcting certain
    errors e.g. (arguably) mis-assigned combining classes, on the basis that
    in theoretical cases they break normalisation stability, but yet allowed
    this correction. My solution, however, would be the opposite of yours:
    Unicode should recognise that there can be no absolute guarantee of
    normalisation stability from one version of the standard to another, and
    recommend that any string should be normalised before any operation
    which depends critically on normalisation.

    In fact Unicode's own conformance requirements more or less forbid a
    process from relying on normalisation stability, i.e. depending on a
    string being already normalised, because that implies that the process
    is making a distinction between canonically equivalent representations.
    So what is the point of insisting on normalisation stability?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)