RE: Subj: Scotland

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 13:31:32 CST

    > What is the official name and country code for Scotland?

    I doesn't have one; it's a kingdom within the United Kingdom, code GB.

    The British Standard BS 6879 uses SCT which is sometimes used combined with
    the ISO code to form GB-SCT (in the style of the ISO 3166-2 codes, but not
    actually a 3166-2 code - I've a notion this is in the latest draft though,
    but I don't have a copy to hand to check), ISO 3166-2 codes are given for
    council areas within Scotland:

    GB-ABE Aberdeen
    GB-ABD Aberdeenshire
    GB-ANS Angus