RE: Surrogate points

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 14:03:49 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On
    > Behalf Of Hans Aberg

    > The numbers 0xD800-0xDFFF, 0xFFFE-0xFFFF are not associated with
    character,
    > but included as place holders, never to be used, because one has
    failed to
    > give the encoding UTF-16 a proper design.

    What's the point of this? The design works, has lots of successful
    implementations, and isn't going to be changed. Hence, complaining
    serves no purpose; it's simply whining. Instead of wasting time on
    fruitless discussion, we should rather occupy ourselves with discussing
    things that are changeable and have a real need to be changed.

    Peter Constable