Re: IDN Security

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 14:52:21 CST

    Cary Karp wrote:

    > The interesting twist here is that a language community might
    > wish to populate its IDN namespace with characters that cannot be
    > entered from the basic local keyboard. This may be innocuous
    > enough but, as I understand it, most users wouldn't understand
    > why keyboarded single and double quotation marks were not being
    > accepted as GERESH and GERSHAYIM. Is the resultant confusion a
    > reasonable price to pay for the orthographic flexibility?

    My own opinion is that omitting the GERSHAYIM is less bad than creating
    a domain name that users wouldn't be able to enter from a standard
    keyboard, and which wouldn't work if they tried to enter it in the way
    that would appear natural to them, using quotation marks.

    It might be worth asking the same question on the W3C
    internationalization list www-international@w3.org. See