Re: 03F3 j Greek Letter yot (was Re: IDN problem.... :( )

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 06:32:09 CST

    On Wednesday, February 16th, 2005 09:05Z Radovan Garabik va escriure:

    > Just across a street from here, there is a travel agency, having a
    > rather huge sign across their windows: "Preßburg reisen" - in all
    > capitals, with ß being rather styled and blocky,

    Am I alone thinking this looks like a font issue?

    That is, it looks like to me an use of all-capital font, where of course ß
    will be rendered along with the other characters, with the same height
    (ascent, descent) as p, f, e...

    Also, I have seen fonts with upper-case sized ß, different (slightly
    smaller) from the lower-case sized one; yet this fonts also had small caps
    of still another height, and I believe nobody will make a case to introduce
    just another set of Latin letters to support small caps (the differing
    height ß was probably there to support proper display of full caps.)

    This is not to say that upper case ß might exist, this I am not qualified to
    answer.

    Antoine