Re: Uppercase variant of U+00DF LATIN SMA LL LETTER SHARP S ("German s harp s", "ß" )

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 09:18:19 CST

    Hello,

    Patrick Andries had written:
    > Hmm. I have my doubts about what those requirements would be for a sign
    > in front of travel agency written "PREßBURG REISEN", maybe ignorance and
    > wish to look very Germanic in Bratislava by using a characteristic ß.

    I had written:

    Radovan Garabik schrieb:
    > Don't be so quick :-)

    Of course, this was a bit harsh.

    I had written:

    Radovan Garabik schrieb:
    > The current _name_ is "Bratislava". Even in German, it is preferred.

    Correct. But I was not referring to ignorance on the name, but rather
    to ignorance on it's spelling.

    > "Pressburg" is used when you want to put an archaic flavour somewhere.
    > Archaic being archaic, I would definitely prefer Preßburg. Anyway, it
    > might be a name, and the agency might be certainly older than 1998.

    True.

    But I would never, under any circumstances, spell "Preßburg" as "PREßBURG";
    as I said before, that spelling gives me a cold shudder runing down my back --
    thence my too quick response; I plead for mitigating circumstances ;-)

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz