Re: [idn] IDN spoofing

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 18:13:19 CST

    On 19/02/2005 22:21, Erik van der Poel wrote:

    > ... Michel Suignard himself (long-time Unicoder) already admitted that:
    >
    > # No languages used in the former soviet union should require a mix of
    > # latin and cyrillic in a single dns label.
    > # Unicode contains many latin homographs in the Cyrillic block exactly
    > for
    > # that reason, to avoid mixing the two scripts in a single word. ...

    Michel may have "admitted" this, but it is nevertheless untrue in at
    least two ways:

    1) Kurdish (Cyrillic), Udi and Wakhi are languages of the former Soviet
    Union which require a mix of Latin and Cyrillic within their ordinary
    orthography;

    2) A Russian, Alexander, who presumably knows the situation with his own
    language better than Michel does, has given a real example of how Latin
    and Cyrillic need to be mixed in Russian IDNs. And who is Michel to tell
    the Russians how to write their own language, or that they are not
    allowed to use international acronyms like XML within their IDNs?

    All that this shows is that there is no easy answer to the spoofing
    problem. At least, a simplistic ban on mixed scripts doesn't work. A
    confusables mapping might provide a solution, but I have seen no good
    suggestions on how this might be presented to an end user.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)