Re: Codepoint Differentiation

From: UList@dfa-mail.com
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 18:44:40 CST

    Hello,

    1. Then it sound like:

     - Serbian Cyrillic Small "t"
     - Coptic letterforms for Greek letter codepoints
     - complete Archaic Greek and Asia Minor scripts aligned to Greek letter codepoints

    are exactly what the Variation Selectors were designed for. There are no
    issues other than a smart font substituting an alternate glyph. They can
    default in a "low-fidelity" rendering to the primary codepoint glyphs. I would
    welcome individual codepoints for them, but Unicode has already decided
    otherwise. There is a clear need to be able to access the glyphs somehow, on a
    device which has only one general Unicode font installed.

    2. I don't know much about:

     - alternate CJK ideographs and syllabographs

    But I imagine some or all of them would fit the criteria as well.

    3. German Sharp S which I mention, is probably too complicated under the
    present Variation Selector definition, and will have to go down to my second
    category with combining marks.

    4. So, that leaves me a little mystified why a variation selector isn't
    already in use for the notorious Serbian "t". Seems a lot more practical than
    switching language identifiers every word in an HTML Russian-Serbian dictionary.

    5. As to functions with combining marks, much of my original post discusses
    the likely need for a new class of differentiating codepoints, other than
    Variation Selectors, to handle that. In some cases the CGJ (or ZWJ) might be
    usable, though I am already finding an essential problem with that for umlaut
    vs. diaeresis (which you are all just dying to hear about -- and which
    urgently needs to be solved).

    Thanks,
    Doug/ulist@dfa-mail.com