Re: nameprep, IDN spoofing and the registries

From: Gregg Reynolds (unicode@arabink.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 07:46:15 CST

    Peter Kirk wrote:
    > On 22/02/2005 05:18, Erik van der Poel wrote:

    >> As George points out, the registries are going to have to start
    >> filtering IDN lookalikes, otherwise they will eventually face lawsuits
    >> from the "big boys" (as George so delightfully puts it). ...
    > It seems to me that there is another approach for the registries which
    > might well work for them with a lot less trouble, and keep the lawyers
    > off their backs. That would be to disclaim any kind of responsibility
    > for spoofing, and accept all syntactically permissible IDNs - or perhaps
    > with restrictions which are nothing to do with anti-spoofing.

    I'm under the impression that, under US law anyway, if you represent
    that you are able to prevent spoofing, and then somebody gets spoofed,
    you are in big trouble - no matter how obvious the spoof may seem to
    you. To say nothing of the trouble you are in when Acme Corp. decides
    it doesn't like your attitude about some semi-spoofy-looking names it
    wants to use. So I'll bet registries will do exactly what you suggest
    and deny any and all anti-spoofing responsibility.

    -g