RE: Codepoint Differentiation

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 10:12:52 CST

    > From: Patrick Andries [mailto:patrick.andries@xcential.com]

    > >No negative impact? You want every Serbian user to have to enter
    > >variation selectors when they type a Cyrillic "t" so that it will
    > >display correctly if at some point it is set in italic? Or to
    remember
    > >to enter the variation selector if they format it in italics?
    > >
    > I'm not really interested in the Serbian case, but the more general
    > question.
    >
    > Couldn't [Serbian here] keyboard drivers generate a <variation
    selector
    > + key> if **need** be ?

    The fact that they *could* doesn't change the reality that they
    currently *don't*. Serbians will end up with a hodgepodge of
    inconsistent data being fed by inconsistent solutions.

    IMO, this should be addressed as a font and markup/styling problem, not
    as a character representation problem.

    Peter Constable