Re: Codepoint Differentiation - Serbian t

From: UList@dfa-mail.com
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 09:09:06 CST

    > Couldn't [Serbian here] keyboard drivers generate a variation selector

    Yes, absolutely! That's the whole point.

    It's a worldwide interoperable standard.

    Every Serbian keyboard map on every computer in the world enters t + VS1 when
    the "t" key is hit.

    Every other Cyrillic keyboard map doesn't.

    All non-italic Cyrillic fonts -- and everything else in the world --
    completely ignores the VS1.

    Smart italic Cyrillic fonts swap in the Serbian Glyph if they see VS1. That's
    its only impact in the entire universe.

    (Other than making life a whole lot easier for millions of people.)

    Doug