Re: Small Java implementation of NFC

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.NMSU.Edu)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 09:32:32 CST

    Elliotte Harold wrote:
    > Currently my Java library (XOM) is dragging along a hefty chunk (344K)
    > of IBM's open source ICU just to support one rarely invoked method that
    > converts strings into NFC. I'd like to get rid of that. Given the nature
    > of my application it is more important to me to be able to eliminate the
    > extra jar file and its size, than it is to have the fastest, most
    > intelligent NFC algorithm.

    Check out http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/ucdata.html. I have a Java class that
    provides composition, decomposition, character types and combining class info.
    Compiled, the class is about 14K. With the four relevant compiled data files,
    it comes to about 88K total.

    You would have to provide the NFC routine on top of this.

    Mark Leisher
    Computing Research Lab            All political parties die at last of
    New Mexico State University       swallowing their own lies.
    Box 30001, MSC 3CRL                  -- John Arbuthnot (1667-1735)
    Las Cruces, NM  88003