Re: teh marbuta

From: Gregg Reynolds (unicode@arabink.com)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 10:40:06 CST

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >>... Note also that teh marbuta is not
    >>traditionally considered a first-class letter in the abjadia; instead is
    >>is a clever solution to the problem that a single character (in the deep
    >>orthography, if that's the right term) takes two completely different
    >>pronunciations depending on context. I suppose the linguists have a
    >>word for this sort of thing;
    >

    > Yes. Morphophonology. In this particular case you are apparently
    > talking about an underlying unit of a morpheme which takes
    > one phonemic representation in one morphological context and
    > another phonemic representation in another morphological context.

    ...etc...

    Hi,

    Thanks for your response. I've got a bunch of questions and some
    observations (e.g. I think we have some misunderstandings attributable
    to the namings and terminology we use), and I think it would be useful
    to have a detailed explanation of that thingee called "teh marbuta" in
    Arabic tradition (which may not be the same thingee Unicode has in mind
    when it calls U+0629 by the same name). Rather than jam everybody's
    inboxes with yet another dissertation-by-email I'll hack up a web page
    this weekend. Stay tuned.

    Respectfully,

    gregg