Re: CGJ for Two Greek Ligatures?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 13:57:15 CST

    Thanks to all for your feedback.

    Yes, I know that ligation may depend on compound word boundaries (at
    least in does in German), and that Irish needs fb and fh ligatures and
    Scandinavian languages need a fj ligature and Turkish and Azeri
    definitely DON'T want an fi ligature.

    Word has a language attribute for runs of text, used for spelling and
    grammar checking. Could this be used as a starting point for ligation
    as well? That might handle the Irish and Scandinavian and Turkish and
    Azeri cases.

    German and other languages where ligation depends on syllable or subword
    boundaries might apply dictionary lookup, and provide an easy undo or a
    confirmation stage (yellow squiggly line?) for ambiguous cases like
    Wachstube.

    I'm not pretending this is trivially simple, or black-and-white. I'd
    just like something better than "no ligation ever, under any
    circumstances."

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/