Re: Languages using multiple scripts

From: E. Keown (k_isoetc@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 14:03:50 CST

        Elaine Keown
        on the road

    Hi,

    Responding a mere 4 weeks later, a language which uses
    several scripts can be called digraphic, biscriptal,
    polyscriptal...

    A language with concurrent systems in the same place
    used by the same people at the same time has a mixed
    writing system (Japanese).

    Still collecting examples, but Aramaic, with 8
    separate writing systems is the most polyscriptal,
    followed by Mongolian....

    I still want to know which language is 3rd --EK

    Ysgrifennodd Patrick Andries
    <patrick.andries@xcential.com> ar y
    14-02-2005 am 08:59:

    > I agree for cross-script confusions : this does not
    seem like a real
    > security problem because, in practice, no one writes
    (or should write) a
    > word using multiples scripts (cases like the
    Cyrillic Q for Kurdish
    > should be fixed). In other cases, we must be careful
    not to duplicate
    > generic characters (like diacritical marks or
    symbols)
    > across scripts.

    With all the discussion about Cyrillic Kurdish Q and
    W, perhaps it would
    be a good idea to come up with a list of languages
    which require
    characters from multiple scripts. If there is going to
    be some talk about
    this topic, more examples would be useful.

    I can think off-hand of a few languages requiring
    Latin and Greek
    characters: Henqeminem (¥è, ¥ö), N©©e&#660;kepmxcin
    (¥è), Heiltsuk (¥ë), Sliammon
    (¥ë, ¥è, ¥ö), Penobscot (¥á-Greek alpha)¡¦

    Furthermore, anyone writing in IPA (even in English)
    must mix Greek and
    Latin: both [b&#477;w¥è].

    Chris Harvey

    --
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
    (A country without its language is a country without a

    Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!