Re: Languages using multiple scripts

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 11:24:08 CST

    On 07/03/2005 17:05, Christopher Fynn wrote:

    > Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> On 07/03/2005 03:52, Doug Ewell wrote:
    >

    >>> Azerbaijani, at least, has been written in Arabic, Latin, and Cyrillic.
    >>> (We have registered tags for each of those.) I don't know where that
    >>> places it in the derby.
    >>

    >> Indeed. And since all three of these scripts are still in current
    >> use, this could be a record for current use - although as such
    >> certainly tying with Uzbek and Tajik, probably also Turkmen, which
    >> also use the same three scripts.
    >

    > I'm not sure what you classify as "current use", ...

    I was not talking about reprinting of ancient religious works, although
    this is not trivial of course. For the languages I listed, also Kurmanji
    Kurdish which I forgot and possibly Talysh, all three scripts are in
    current use in real living communities for writing everyday materials:
    Arabic script in Iran, Iraq or Afghanistan; Cyrillic script among older
    users in former Soviet republics and among migrants in Russia; and Latin
    script among younger users (as a result of 1990's script changes), and
    for Kurdish in Turkey.

    Arguably Turkish is also in current use in three scripts: Latin in
    Turkey and Cyprus, Cyrillic in Bulgaria, and Arabic in Iraq - although
    it is debatable whether the Iraqi Turkman actually speak Turkish or
    Azerbaijani (but they don't speak Turkmen!)

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)