Re: Encoded rendering instructions (was Unicode's Mandate)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 09:51:57 CST

    Christopher Fynn wrote at 3:18 AM on Thursday, March 10, 2005:

    >And encoding "damage indicators" wouldn't undermine the design goals,
    >simplicity and robustness of Unicode?

    Damage indicators are zero threat to the "simplicity and robustness of
    Unicode"; the concept and implementation are rather simple and
    straightforward.

    With regard to undermining the "design goals of Unicode", that's a matter
    of opinion. I think no; others think yes. I thought that would be the
    case, which is, in fact, why I posed the question in the first place - to
    get just the sort of feedback we are getting here from people with varied
    expertise and viewpoints.

    >If you have a manuscript with a big hole in it or a tear wouldn't you want
    >to be able to indicate that kind of overall damage as well as damage to
    >individual glyphs?

    Missing text is a matter for markup (with the possible exception of my
    suggestion for a parallel passage character); partially existing text,
    I've suggested, is a matter for plain text.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project