Re: Canonical Combining Classes

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 04:41:11 CST

    On 17/03/2005 00:26, Patrick Andries wrote:

    > In general, the Canonical Combining Classes represent the
    > typographical interaction potential of the corresponding combining
    > character ...

    This is what the text of the standard claims, but in fact it doesn't
    work with these "fixed position classes". Combining marks in different
    fixed position classes, e.g. in Hebrew, are in fact in the same position
    relative to the base characters and so necessarily interact
    typographically. It seems to me that these "fixed position classes" are
    a historical relic with little or no real utility and some unfortunate
    side-effects. Unfortunately these classes were frozen for stability
    reasons without being properly reviewed, so we are stuck with them, and
    with the need for kludges e.g. inserting CGJ to preserve certain
    significant distinctions through normalisation.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)