Re: 'lower case a' and 'script a' in unicode

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 16:56:08 CST

    On 22/03/2005 22:19, vlad wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:39:34 +0100, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
    >

    >>The distinction of these letters are made in some African languages too (But
    >>is there such distinction in uppercase form in some language using this
    >>letter, and is there a proposal to map such letter? What is the alternate
    >>letter form of 'A' in that case: a 'A' with some hooks on the legs or on
    >>some side of the horizontal stroke? a double horizontal stroke? a taller
    >>M-height one-loop "script-a"? something else?).
    >>

    >Doulos SIL has the capital in the private use area, at U+F208. Many of
    >the other characters in its PUA have been proposed, but I'm not sure
    >that this one has.

    I understand that it has not been proposed to Unicode as yet, probably
    for lack of adequate evidence of use. If anyone has such evidence of
    use, or can name specific languages in which it is used, please submit
    this to SIL, or I can pass it on.

    I presume that any language which does use these two distinct forms of a
    must also have distinct upper case forms.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)