Re: Security Issues

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 00:03:09 CST

    At 04:56 PM 3/23/2005, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >On the other hand, there are quite a number of your listed atomic cased
    >Latin letters which are not in current use, although it is dangerous to
    >say that they will not be used because some of these older orthographies
    >are being revived.

    It's always necessary to remember that the goal is domain names, not simply
    modern prose
    (or poetry ;=).

    I think people will (more or less cheerfully) trade some restrictions if
    they buy an increase in security, so that some kinds of fallbacks are going
    to be tolerable, that would not be tolerated in even the most rudimentary
    general purpose text display.

    O'Connor -> OConnor could be an example of what I am thinking of, but
    dropping a full-fledged letter would likely not be.

    The devil, as always, is in the details, so this being only a general
    observation, might not be all that helpful.

    A./