Re: 'lower case a' and 'script a' in unicode

From: Donald Z. Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 13:36:57 CST

    This has been an interesting thread, thanks to all...

    A couple of quick comments. It is useful to extend the question about upper case
    Latin alpha use in Fe'fe' )and perhaps other languages) to ask how well
    established use of the lower case form is in the field.

    The kinds of issues discussed about the two characters and glyphs from the point
    of view of typography are certainly encountered on the ground among people
    literate in the language and those instructing in it. The normal handwritten
    form of "a" is not two storey, and indeed it's hard to imagine keeping the
    forms distinguishable in anything other than digital or printed form (with the
    appropriate fonts). References I'm aware of on this are older, and it's
    possible that a later reference may simply be reporting earlier references.

    Second, thanks for the document references. I will try to add them soon to
    http://www.bisharat.net/A12N/index.html#char (where there are other character
    summaries for African languages).

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net