Re: U+0023 in French

From: Martin Green (mjdgreen@rainbow4.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 06:57:54 CST

    As a regular listener but not contributor to this list it always amuses
    me when items talk of "English-speaking". The names I have heard used
    for the symbol (#) are: hash and chicken-scratch (think about it) but
    only heard of "pound" when I finally went over to the States. Talking to
    other IT users in the UK "pound" is always the symbol (£) and this
    applies to most of our telephone systems. Very occasionally I do run
    into a telephone system which uses the term "pound key" but almost
    always these are systems calling (very) large American companies.

    Martin Green