Re: Security Issues

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 10:27:08 CST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > Rather the opposite end of the minorities scale from the Tamil!
    > Nevertheless, even 20 people have their rights, although I doubt if
    > this language is viable. But a language group of 6000 can easily be
    > viable and stable enough that it should be supported by the Internet.

    There's a lot more to "being supported by the Internet" than the set of
    characters permitted in domain names.

    There's also a significant controversy surrounding the ability of some
    evil person to register "paypaɫ.com" or similar, using a letter like
    U+026B that most people in the world aren't aware exists, and using it
    to dupe innocent consumers. People are running around screaming that
    internationalized domain names are evil for allowing these characters,
    and that Unicode is evil for including them in the first place. This
    "security" thread is an attempt to work out the best solution for all.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/